Bettie – Name Meaning
The name Bettie is a feminine given name of English origin. It is derived from the Old English name Betta, which was originally a diminutive form of Elizabeth. The name Bettie has been in use since the 19th century and is still popular today.
The meaning of the name Bettie is “God’s promise” or “God is my oath”. This reflects the Biblical story of Elizabeth, who was promised by God to be the mother of John the Baptist. The name also carries connotations of strength and faithfulness, as Elizabeth was a woman of great courage and faith.
Bettie has been a popular name for girls in the United States since the late 19th century. It peaked in popularity during the 1920s and 1930s, when it was among the top 100 most popular names for girls. Since then, its popularity has declined somewhat but it remains a popular choice for parents looking for an old-fashioned yet timeless name.
Famous People Named Bettie
There are many famous people who have borne the name Bettie, including:
- Bettie Page, an American pin-up model and actress who became an iconic figure in pop culture.
- Bettie Jones, an African-American civil rights activist who fought against segregation in schools.
- Bettie White, an American actress best known for her role as Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls.
- Bettie Serveert, a Dutch alternative rock band formed in 1990.
- Bettie Cilliers-Barnard, a South African artist known for her abstract paintings.
The name Bettie is a classic choice that has stood the test of time. Its meaning reflects strength and faithfulness, making it an ideal choice for parents looking for a meaningful name for their daughter. Whether you’re looking for an old-fashioned classic or something more modern, Bettie is sure to please.