The Meaning of the Name Alma
Alma is a Latin name meaning “nourishing” or “kind”. It is derived from the Latin word almus, which means “nourishing” or “kind”. The name has been used in various cultures throughout history, including Spanish, Italian, and Scandinavian.
In Spanish, Alma is often used as a nickname for names such as Almudena, Almeria, and Almodina. In Italy, it is sometimes used as a short form of names such as Elvira and Elvina. In Scandinavia, it is sometimes used as a short form of names such as Astrid and Asta.
Famous People Named Alma
There are many famous people who have been given the name Alma. Some of these include:
- Alma Thomas, an American artist known for her abstract expressionist paintings.
- Alma Mahler-Werfel, an Austrian composer and socialite.
- Alma Reville, an English screenwriter and editor who worked with her husband Alfred Hitchcock on many of his films.
- Alma Cogan, an English singer who was popular in the 1950s and 1960s.
- Alma Deutscher, an English composer and pianist.
Popularity of the Name Alma
The name Alma has been steadily increasing in popularity over the past few decades. In the United States, it was ranked at #717 in 2019. In England and Wales, it was ranked at #845 in 2018. In Scotland, it was ranked at #902 in 2018.
The name Alma has also become popular in other countries around the world. In France, it was ranked at #541 in 2018. In Germany, it was ranked at #837 in 2018. In Sweden, it was ranked at #619 in 2018.