Augustine – Name Meaning
The name Augustine is a Latinized version of the name “Augustinus”, which is derived from the Latin word “augustus” meaning “venerable” or “majestic”. It was popularized by Saint Augustine of Hippo, a 4th century theologian and philosopher who is considered one of the most influential figures in the development of Western Christianity.
The name Augustine has been used throughout history as a given name for both men and women. In recent years, it has become increasingly popular as a unisex name. It is also sometimes used as a surname.
The name Augustine carries with it a sense of strength and power. It is associated with wisdom, knowledge, and faith. It can also be seen as a symbol of courage and determination.
In addition to its religious connotations, the name Augustine is often associated with creativity and innovation. It can be seen as an indication of someone who is willing to take risks and explore new ideas.
The name Augustine has been steadily increasing in popularity over the past few decades. In 2020, it ranked #717 on the Social Security Administration’s list of most popular baby names in the United States.
It is particularly popular in France, where it ranks among the top 100 names for boys. In other countries such as Germany, Italy, Spain, and Portugal, it is also becoming increasingly popular.
Famous People Named Augustine
There are many famous people who have borne the name Augustine throughout history. These include:
- Saint Augustine of Hippo: A 4th century theologian and philosopher who is considered one of the most influential figures in the development of Western Christianity.
- Augustine Washington: The father of George Washington, first president of the United States.
- Augustine Birrell: A British politician who served as Chief Secretary for Ireland from 1907 to 1916.
- Augustine Tolton: The first African-American Catholic priest in the United States.
- Augustine Courtauld: An English philanthropist who founded several charities including The Courtauld Institute of Art.
- Augustine Mahiga: A Tanzanian diplomat who served as Minister for Foreign Affairs from 2006 to 2008.